Fall is a season of vibrant foliage (depending on where you are from), cozy sweaters, and, of course, a great harvest of seasonal ingredients. As the weather gets crisp, it’s the perfect time to explore the flavors and dishes that celebrate fall and are a bit comfier. This blog post is a celebration of fall ingredients to guide you through cooking with seasonal ingredients and sharing a variety of recipe ideas to make the most of the season.
Cooking with Seasonal Ingredients
Cooking with seasonal ingredients is an amazing way to connect with the rhythms of the season. Fall offers an abundance of flavors, from hearty root vegetables, aromatic spices and delicious comfort meals. Here are some reasons to use seasonal ingredients:
- Freshness and Flavor: Seasonal produce is at its peak in flavor and freshness, making your meals more delicious. They are also at their best nutrient wise as well.
- Supporting Local Agriculture: Buying seasonal ingredients often means supporting local farmers and communities, since it is specifically what is in season during the time and in your specific area.
- Sustainability: Seasonal produce typically has a lower environmental impact because it’s grown in its natural season. This means that it does not have to travel as far which adds to cost and its footprint.
- Cost Effective: In season ingredients are often more affordable, as there’s an abundant supply. This allows them to be in stores at a lower cost and since they are at their peak ripeness the stores want them to be sold faster.
Here are some of our favorites and/or what we plan to highlight in recipes this fall.
- Pumpkin: not only are the hearty but they can be used in both sweet and savory recipes, from soups, pastas, and pies.
- Apples: apple-picking season is in full swing, and the possibilities are endless. This is a favorite of our boys, so we can’t wait to try some different apples this season and some new recipes.
- Squash: we love the flavor, versatility and heartiness of squash. We look forward to trying out some new recipes and sharing them here with all of you!
- Sweet Potatoes: these are another great fall ingredient that can be sweet, or savory and we love it.
- Cranberries: we have enjoyed utilizing cranberries through the years. Some of our tops were cranberry gravy, cranberry orange parfaits, and cranberry vinaigrette.
- Brussels Sprouts: delicious when roasted or pan-fried with garlic and seasonings. We also enjoy a good brussels sprout salad.
- Pears: a delicious addition to salads, desserts, and even savory dishes when roasted or poached.
Fall-Inspired Recipe Ideas
Now let’s talk about some recipe ideas we look forward to cooking over the next few weeks.
- Curried Squash Ravioli
- Apple Cider Sangria
- Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Bowls with Candied Pecans and Dried Cranberries
- Balsamic Glaze Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Parmesan Spiced Breadcrumbs
- Cranberry Ginger Snap Cheesecake
Seasonal cooking is a wonderful way to celebrate and enjoy the incredible flavors that nature has to offer throughout the year. We hope this post offers some inspiration for your next meal. Which recipe do you want us to cook first?
If you haven’t joined our Facebook group Meal Planning for Busy Parents yet, please check it out HERE. That is where you can find our community and easily chat with us. We also go live every Friday to answer your questions and talk about all kinds of cooking and meal planning topics. We’ll see you tomorrow!