This classic French dish is both filling and delicious. Enjoy the rich flavors in this classic dish, paired with mashed potatoes.
- 1 Large Saucepan
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- heat resistant spoon
- Sheet Tray
- 1 pound Beef Stew Meat
- 4 slices Bacon Cooked and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 each Onion chopped
- 2 each Carrots chopped
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 8 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 1 cup Beef Broth or Stock
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 2 each Bay Leaves
- Parsley as needed, chopped
- Kosher Salt as needed
- Black Pepper as needed
- Cook the Bacon: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the bacon slices on a baking sheet and cook in the oven until crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove the bacon from the oven, drain on paper towels, and chop it into pieces.
- Sear the Beef: In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the beef stew meat generously with salt and pepper. Add the seasoned beef and sear them until they are browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan and set it aside.
- Sauté the Vegetables: In the same pot, add the chopped onion, carrots, celery and minced garlic. Sauté the vegetables until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Make the Red Wine Sauce: Stir in the tomato paste to combine. Pour in the red wine, mix and let it cook down a bit (about 3 mins). Add in the beef broth, stirring to combine. Add the beef back in with the bacon, thyme and bay leaves. Stir together and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes. (this could also be done in a 375 F oven)
- Finish and Serve: Remove the lid and let sauce reduce a bit more, about 15-20 minutes on medium heat. Pull out the thyme sprigs and bay leaves from the pot. Garnish with parsley and serve atop mashed potatoes or rice.
For Allergies: This recipe is already top 9 allergen friendly. Make sure to double check all of your ingredient labels for any possibilities of hidden allergens or cross contamination possibilities.
Calories: 445kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 31gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 520mgPotassium: 942mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 361IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 58mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!